Leadership workshop addresses the challenges of institutional change

peeps
May 5, 2019

Change management was the order of the day at a Physician Leadership Workshop attended by about 20 provider-leaders from Kaleida Health, General Physician PC, UBMD and ECMC on May 7 at Buffalo General Medical Center. The objectives of the seven-hour interactive session were as follows:

  • Articulate the drivers and urgency for change within their organization
  • Define critical leadership behaviors necessary for successfully leading the change
  • Understand the process of change management
  • Review the contribution of healthcare IT to provider burnout as
  • one of the key drivers for configuration decisions
  • Understand the role of emotional intelligence in leadership and apply tools to support it
  • Use VitalSmart’s Crucial Conversations Model as a tactical framework for aiding in dialogue and conflict resolution
  • Create an action plan for next steps in leading the change

The session was facilitated by Peter Winkelstein, MD, Kaleida Health vice president and chief medical information officer and UBMD chief medical information officer; Walter Kerschl, MD, Cerner senior director and chief medical officer; Bruce Wilson, Cerner senior business developer, organization change management; and Dave Jenkins, lead behavior change consultant for Cerner.

One of the more impactful activities involved providers evaluating EMR design decisions in terms of their burden and value, and relating those categorizations and their implications to the issue of provider burnout.

“The burnout activity was particularly beneficial in terms of exploring near- and long-term potential projects to improve provider documentation,” said Jenkins.

Attendees gave the workshop high marks, with 85 percent of responders giving it the highest mark possible and the remaining 15 percent rating it as “good.”

More Physician Leadership Workshops are planned for the fall.